First of all most of repairing dry mix plasters are used for interior jobs or for both interior and exterior jobs. This is the most basic difference between it types. As soon as we determine the location of plaster application, we can move further. The main task of plaster is to level the surface of walls and ceilings or to give them certain texture. In this particular case it is used as an independent decorative material (for example, facade decorative plaster) or as a basis for further application of decoration materials of different types (paint, wallpaper, etc.). Here, depending on the tasks and type of bonding component, we can distinguish the following types:
- repairing plaster mixes for rough levelling of walls, these mixes are designed to smooth only big unevenness. More refined plasters, sometimes they are called finishing-off plasters, are used to achieve both tasks: prime and final smooth levelling;
- facade, frost resistant cement, cement-sand or cement-lime plasters can sustain aggressive environment. And materials for interior use, which are mostly based on gypsum;
- restoration, mostly lime, lime-sand or lime-cement mixes are designed to restore and preserve historical look of old facade, because these materials were mostly used for covering building walls one or two hundred years ago;
- decorative plasters, for exterior and interior textured rendering, are a separate group of construction materials, as they not only level the surface of walls but also add a special texture to the walls. For example such decorative plasters as stone texture (in Russian - "Fur coat") and rustic texture (groove line like trace from Bark beetle). These materials, as well as Venetian plasters, are also called finishing-off plasters because their relief layer of surface may serve as a decoration itself;
- thermo-insulation, super light mixes with porous fillers are used for thermo-insulation of facade and inside walls. The additional effect of insulation materials is to provide soundproofing for walls and ceilings;
- waterproof, frost resistant and dump proof plasters, polymer, gypsum and cement based. In this case we are talking about classifying mixes by one of their characteristics or by the type of the bonding component for determining their basic properties and ability to be used in aggressive environment in conditions with high level of precipitations, in premises with high level of humidity, in cold premises (for example in a garage or warehouse) or used for facade levelling.
As a matter of fact, all IVSIL dry mixes are designed to ensure easy, convenient use for wall levelling. And our products target both categories of users: professional, experienced constructors, who work on a construction site at a multi-storeyed building, using our products for manual and machine application; and an amateur beginner, who decided to do DIY jobs and to level his apartment walls himself. But as in any other case when you do something for the first time, working with IVSIL plaster mixes will require certain knowledge and skills.
One of the most frequently asked questions at our site forum is in which case to use plaster and which case to use finish. How to determine a line between the use of these two construction materials? It is recommended to identify the task and to assess the basis surface. It is necessary for you (or your construction team foreman) to evaluate imperfections of the walls and depth of level gaps in every case. If faults or defects are considerable and requirement towards smoothness are high, you need prime levelling first. For example, if it is a monolith or brick wall in a new house you are most likely to need complete repair plastering. But if it is a wall in a panel house, where walls are almost always smooth enough, you do not need plastering of the whole surface. In this case it could be enough to treat only cracks, small hole or imperfections, if necessary, with plaster or another suitable material.
Another important question is what is better: to apply finishing plaster over plaster layer or to choose a repairimg plaster mix, which is suitable for final finished-off result before painting or adhesion of wallpaper? You can achieve a desirable effect by using IVSIL dry mixes. For example, any IVSIL gypsum plasters will produce a perfect finishing-off effect. The same applies to light cement based mix IVSIL Thiner. Anyway, if you need an ideal result, do not ignore the use of finishing mix. If the economy side is more important and perfectly smooth surface of walls and ceilings are secondary (mass construction, plaster jobs in the entrance hall or in the garage, municipal decoration jobs, wall surfaces under thick wallpaper, walls in warehouses, etc.) it can be sufficient to use same repairing plaster only.
Some words about gypsum, cement, light and thermo insulation plasters. There is no point to discuss which of them is better than others, as they are just different. The main difference between gypsum and plain cement plasters is that gypsum is a pure natural bonding material. Therefore these mixes are considered to be ecologically friendly and are most likely to be chosen for covering inside walls and ceilings of apartments, houses and hotels. Besides gypsum based materials are easier to mix and their quantity used per square meter is less than for cement based plasters. Gypsum based plasters provide almost ideal smoothness of walls and ceilings. IVSIL gypsum based plasters contain light filler, which guarantees better retention of warmth in the premises and decreases load on walls and foundations of the buildings.
Nevertheless, everything mentioned above does not mean that cement based plasters are worse than gypsum based. They have their own advantages. It is important to understand what are your priorities and conditions of rendering. The rest (being easy to use, to apply, lightness, reliability and high quality) applies to all IVSIL repairing dry mixes gypsum and cement based.
Application of all IVSIL gypsum and cement based reparing mixes does not require making prior cuts on the surface in order to provide a better grip. This makes a big economy of time and effort. All IVSIL plasters have sufficient bond power to ensure long lasting strong bond with the basis surface. They are able to sustain its own weight load and weight load of other decorative materials laid over plaster. The only exception is when the basis is absolutely smooth and does not absorb water, for example concrete basis. But even for such cases we have a solution special bonding primers. They will ensure that you do not need to waste your time and effort at making cuts on the walls by chisel.
Tools for plastering are simple and you can buy them at any construction materials shop. First of all you will need a traditional builders bucket for mixing dry mixes with water and a special mixer drill for fast and proper mixing. You will also need a hawk and a plaster trowel for applying prepared mix on the surface and floats (wooden or metal). For facade and column works you will need truncated trowel for doing external angles. To check levelling of the wall and for work with large application areas you will need a wooden stick 1,2 -1,5 m long and a level. A metal brush and a scrub for preliminary cleaning of the wall may be useful too.
If the curvature of the walls and there are deviations from the verticaevelling of walls, do not forget about markers for plastering (plastic coated metal markers would be the best). Their choice depends on the thickness of layer and they can be fixed with the help of the same mixture or by gypsum mix. For fast fixing of markers IVSIL Gidroplomba can be used as it hardens extremely fast and in 3 minutes you can start levelling the walls.
We should point out that preparationof unusual or uneven walls for plastering (rendering) is probably the most important stage of work and one should pay special attention to it. At this point you need to measure the difference in the wall level heights and to calculate the necessary amount of plaster. This is a crucial point and it will ensure the final result of the job. There are many different ways of preliminary marking of the walls prior to plastering and we can not discuss them all. If it is the first time you do plastering, we recommend you to read some special literature or to take some advice of a professional or even to practice with him.
Now we want to give you more detailed information about IVSIL mineral gypsum and cement repairing mixes. Our range includes three gypsum plasters and five cement-based rendering mixes:
- Humidity resistant gypsum IVSIL Rust and IVSIL Rust-M are traditionally used for interior jobs. Both these mixes have the best characteristics for levelling gypsum plasters. The difference between them is only in the method of application. IVSIL Rust-M is designed for mechanical machine application.
Cement based IVSIL mixes for rendering are multipurpose as they may be used both for interior and exterior jobs. Frost resistant mixes can also be called facade mixes. It is needless to say that all of them easily provide excellent result when used for levelling interior walls and ceilings. Waterproof and humidity resistant, it can work perfectly well in dry and humid premises (whilst levelling walls in the bathroom, shower room and in the basements). It is also very important that all IVSIL cement based rebdering mixes can be used for manual and machine application with any type of plastering machines. Cement based mixes are suitable for normal standard surfaces and high-absorption surfaces (for example, foam-concrete, gas-concrete, porous concrete). Each type of it has its own particular characteristics:
- Cement based IVSIL GROSS super solid reliable facade mix. Due to large size fractions of sand in this mix, it is strong and durable. It is ideal for levelling of facade, entrance hall walls, office premises and other parts of the buildings, which are supposed to endure extra wearing-out effect. IVSIL GROSS is also suitable for hard climate conditions. No matter, if it subtropical zone of southern tourist resorts or frosty winters of Siberia;
- IVSIL THINER is another cement based or rather cement-lime based plaster and it is very special. A very light filler component makes it light and it is very close to gypsum plasters when it comes to the quantity, which is required for work. You may need only 11-12 kg of IVSIL Thiner per 1 square meter. It probably makes it the most economical cement-based plaster on the Russian construction market. Very economical consumption of the mix, plus a very reasonable price, combined with brilliant quality of this dry mix, which can be easily levelled and brought to a smooth perfect surface, makes this plaster a real winner. And using it is even cheaper than using a plain economical-range traditional drymix mortar!
- IVSIL TERMOSIL is an innovative product in the line of IVSIL thermo- and soundproof materials. It is designed for rendering walls and facade of buildings. Its composition makes it totally unique as a super light thermo-insulation dry mix. Insulation abilities of IVSIL Termosil can be compared only with such materials as those of mineral wool. This plaster is suitable for insulation and soundproofing of apartments, offices and for outside walls of facade. The composition of the plaster includes granules of foamglass; this component is inflammable, more solid and far more long lasting material than traditional insulation mixes, which include foam-plastic and foam polystyrol bubbles.
You can choose the right repairing mix for your purposes and conditions and to calculate the necessary amount of it by using the option on the top of this page in the right side corner.
Whats new? Since December 2009 there is a new product in our line called IVSIL TEXTURA plaster with Stone effect («Fur coat»). It is a decorative plaster, which producers a highly popular texture effect. Another texture decorative plaster IVSIL rustic texture (Groove line) has already become very popular with our clients. We also want to mention that the recipes of our old products, such as IVSIL Rust and IVSIL RustM have been upgraded and improved. A new white gypsum mix IVSIL Spark for manual application is also available now. In the nearest future we will introduce its version for machine application. Our training/instructing videos have been upgraded as well this spring you will be able to watch video instructions for use of decorative and levelling IVSIL plasters. For those, who were taken by a surprise this winter, we have good news you can order cement based IVSIL GROSS plaster in «winter variation», which will allow you to work at low temperatures. Those of our clients, who are in favour of our traditional, classical «facade multipurpose» products in this cold season, can find «hot» offers!
In order to learn more about how to apply plasters, detailed advice regarding technology of IVSIL levelling and decorative plasters use, as well as to calculate the consumption, you can visit our pages regarding all types of plasters. Of course, all our repairing mixes are certified, including voluntary certification by Rostest. All dry mixes of IVSIL undergo total quality control at every stage of production.
You can be pleasantly surprised by our reasonable prices of decorative, thermo-insulating, gypsum and cement mixes when you visit the page «Price List». To find a company, which deals with wholesales of IVSIL products in Russia, please visit the section «Where to buy» (available only in Russian). To find information referring whole sale and retail shops in Moscow, please click here (in Russian edition). To enrol on our training course or to participate in conducting of our master-class as well as to ask any questions regarding our products, please use the information of the section «Contacts». You can find and download all information regarding our certificates in the corresponding section. And you can discuss any questions regarding plastering and rendering at our Forum (supported only in Russian).
We wish your house to have smooth levelled walls and we wish you to enjoy working with excellent, economical, reliable dry mixes of IVSIL!